Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

Just bought a used 2012 Subaru Forester. Between

Customer Question

***** *****. Just bought a used 2012 Subaru Forester. Between 20 and 40-50 MPH there is a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the front right part of the car. Brakes don't seem to be the issue, sounds more like a belt. Take about 20-30 minutes of driving to hear the sound. Mechanic says they can't find anything mechanically wrong with the car. They said it may be the windshield...BS. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The sound is pretty consistent up to about 40-50MPH, then not as noticeable. Sometimes the squealing just stops... Sounds like a belt, but I guess brakes are not out of the question. Front brakes have about 5mm left. I didn't hear the sound until after I took the car to the mechanic for an inspection. The did a multi-point inspection including checking the brakes...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.does the noise quieten down when applying the brakes?oes it always do the between 20-50mph or is it intermediate?
does the noise quieten when turning left or right?thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It takes about 20-30 minutes of driving for the sound to start. The noise does not change when applying he brakes, nor does it change when turning. It is pretty consistent between 20-50MPH, but then it will just stop for a while and then start again.
does letting off the throttle change the noise when it coasts at 20-50 mph/
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nope
okfrom what you are telling me,this sounds as if it may be a wheel bearing noise
though it doesnt seem to be too bad now,,it may get worse
Parts InformationOEM Part #PriceWheel BearingFront Suspension1 - Front Hub & Bearing28373FG000$162.95Rear Suspension3 - Trailing Arm Bushing20254FG000$8.07Hub & Bearing AssemblyTo 9/10/1128473FG000$169.95From 9/11/1128473SC000$169.95Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandardReplace Front SuspensionHub & Bearing AssemblyOne SideB0.02.3Both SidesB0.03.8Replace Rear SuspensionHub & Bearing AssemblyOne SideB0.02.3Both SidesB0.03.8
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q5bgr2oov40od7/0421-subaru-Front%20Hub%20Unit%20Bearing.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/7q5bgr2oov40od7/0421-subaru-Front%20Hub%20Unit%20Bearing.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased a comprehensive warranty when I purchased this used car. Would the repairs be covered under the warranty?
i really dont know of your warranty,but yes,i would think it would be coveredthanks