Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

Purchased a 2003 Subaru Baja with 274,000 miles on it and drove

Customer Question

Purchased a 2003 Subaru Baja with 274,000 miles on it and drove home from Maine 4200 miles without a problem. Service records show it was well maintained and Head Gaskets changed 85k and 160k It shows overheating problems the whole life
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have discussed with individuals that the Head Gasket is okay , no water in oil, and it overheats when idling no it Drive because the electric only works in Drive The whole trip the temp gague stayed at mid point It doesn't blow any white smoke, no engine light , and idles smooth like my wifes 2015 Subaru. It loses about a 1/4 of coolant every 100 miles now
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed radiator cap, new ignition coil, drained coolant and added "blue Coolant, checked for any visible leaks, When added new coolant ran the engine with heater on for 15 minutes. The car runs great for 100 miles and the temp gague will rise to 2/3. Stopped and let cool down and added coolant and will run great. Possibly it overheated with 4 passengers in car and the outside temp was 91
JA: Leaks can be annoying and tough to diagnose, but the good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Other than the leak, how has the car been running?
Customer: it drives great as quiet and smooth as my wifes new Forrester 2015. gets 29 mpg and it drove 7 days at 65-75 mph, no problems or overheating for 4k miles
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to guys for all things leaks and leaking for a diagnosis.
Customer: Great, I was going to take into the Subaru Dealer but they said it probably is a head gasket, I contacted subaru service in Maine where it was maintained since new and all service history on a printout and they said the head gasket it not the problem, could be a fan problem They did change the head gasket but it has less than 75k on on it. My Dealer states it will run $2800 to start for head gasket
JA: I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Subaru Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks for all your insight
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 months ago.
are the fans working?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
electric fan works only in Drive not idling
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it never went into red temp gague just 2/3 and I added 1/4 coolant and works , but it overheated 2 times in the last 2 days , climbing to 3200 ft and 87 degrees and 90 degrees . Turned on heater for 15 min after changing coolant
so if your at a traffic light in drive do the fans come on?