Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

This is ***** *****. I have a 2002 suburu outback. It is sporadically

Customer Question

This is ***** *****. I have a 2002 suburu outback. It is sporadically hesitating, bucking, refusing to maintain speed, a ting like it is going to die. They did new p!ugs and wires, then replaced fuel filter in engine compartment. The car has 135,000 miles. Help. It feels like a fuel problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else do you need to know. Problem started last year when I let gas get too low. I have du ped I. Fuel system cleaner which helped for awhile
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 months ago.
is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It came back on after the engine was running roughly yesterday. It had stayed off for a few days after they reconnected the oxygen sensors that a prior shop had apparently left disconnected without telling me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took it to a new shop this morning. I told them to please keep the car until they figured what was wrong, and to let the mechanic drive it to lunch, home, etc, until it acted up on him. This is the FOURTH shop the poor car has been in during the past 10 months. Years ago I had to do the same thing with a Chevrolet I owned - just take it to the dealer where I bought it 50 miles away and tell them to keep the car and drive it until it acted up, because it had a fuel system problem that almost got me killed due to dying in traffic, and two other shops hadn't been able to fix it. That time it took two days of being driven before it happened to them and they diagnosed and repaired it correctly. I keep having mechanics say that something else needs to be done rather than addressing the fuel problem, or that the car didn't do it while they drove it. The car has had new front brakes, new plug wires and plugs, a fuel filter replaced in the engine compartment, etc., without this problem being fixed.
do you know what codes are present? is it at a Subaru dealer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The car is at a local shop. The nearest Subaru dealer is over 60 miles away in Kansas City, and I expect very expensive. I live in a town of 70,000 north of Kansas City. I do not know what the codes are saying. I am waiting to hear from the mechanic. I bought the car used about 1 1/2 years ago from a used car dealer in KC, who I am sure bought it at auction, so no knowledge of past maintenance. I did make them change timing belt before I bought it, and they did water pump at that time as part of that process. I LOVE this car, battered as it is, and plan to keep it a long time. Where I live I have to have at least AWD to get around in the winter, and this car will carry a 10' 2x4 with the hatch closed, and is a tank. What's not to love?
can you get me that info I'm a Subaru mechanic it would helpful...when it runs bad does the engine light flash?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a steady light, not flashing on the check engine light. I will try to get the info for you. When codes were read before, they said oxy sensors bad, but last mechanic said they were unplugged, and the light went off after he reconnected them, and it did not come back on until the engine was running rough a few days later. They also had a misfire code. I will try to talk to them tomorrow, but I will be in a seminar all day Wednesday & Thursday.
did they check compression?