Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

I'm ***** *****. I have a 2010 Subaru Outback. Recently,

Customer Question

Hi. I'm ***** *****. I have a 2010 Subaru Outback. Recently, my brake light has started flashing from time to time after releasing the parking brake. Not all of the time and if I stop and restart the car, it often stops.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My car has just hit 100K and I've never had to have the pads replaced. Could it be I need new pads?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should mention that I checked my fluid levels and topped them off, even though they were not anywhere near the min.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
HI there,Are there any other lights coming up on the dash when this happens?Check engine or VDC?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mike,No there are are no other lights on the dash at the time. The car starts normally, all the normal lights come on and go off appropriately. I then release the parking brake, place the car in reverse (its a standard). The park brake releases just fine but the brake light flashes and continues to flash. If I stop and restart the car, the light often goes off and stays off and it may not happen again for several days.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
I see, thank you for the explanation.The light flashing means there is a code stored in the parking brake module. As long as the brake is releasing all the way it's ok to drive the car.Without the code it's difficult to be 100% sure whats happening, but to me it sounds like one if the sensors has failed or is failing. Eventually the light will stay on. This isn't or should not be happening because you need brakes on the car. It's really more then likely a failed sensor or switch along the system.Sorry I cannot be more specific without a code.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,Do you need further assistance with this?