Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited: Mike: Remember me, I am the guy

Customer Question

Mike: Remember me, I am the guy with the 2000 Subaru Outback. Today, when putting the car in reverse, it really seems like it's slammimg, well...it's not shifting smoothly into reverse. Reverse works immediately without any problems after it's in gear, put putting it into reverse, well...it's really rough. IS that likely to be a major problem or what? I am not really wanting to replace the tranny.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Hello agian,Does the AT temp light flash as all when you first start the car?Also, if you go from park to drive do you feel it slam into gear?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No, thr car doesnt display the AT Temperature light when first starting the vehicle.

Also, going from park to drive doesnt cause any issues.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
OkFirst thing to check is the transmission fluid level. A low fluid condition can cause this type of issue when putting the car into reverse.If the fluid level is fine, then, I would like to have you take the car from park directly to the lowest gear and see if it bangs the same way or not.This can help us determine if something major is going on in the transmission or if it's a simpler fix possibly. Without a lot of tools for testing the pump pressures and shift solenoids we are kind of winging it here