peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Subaru Outback 2.5I: 2002 outback, engine died now no electrical.

Customer Question

2002 outback, engine died now no electrical. key is in ignition and will turn but can not be removed the steering wheel does not lock
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This can be due to a fault with the battery itself failing needing replaced or the alternator failing needing replaced.I have also seen issues with the battery cables themselves becoming loose,damaged or corroded needing cleaned and tightened at the battery or where they lead to from the battery.I would have the cable connections checked to see if any issues are found.if these are all found to be o.k. I would have the battery and alternator tested for any issues needing repaired or replaced.A local parts store will usually test these for you at no charge. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me start again. The outback had set up for a while and the battery was low enough that only interior lights would come on. Connected jumpers from our forester, turning the ignition switch the dash display lights up and the engine started right up. The fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank but the gas low warning light stayed on, I don't remember any other of the warning lights staying on. Put the car in drive to move it out of the way. Drove it about 20 ft running fine then all lights on the dash went out and the engine died, cycling the key (off to on) all lights and guages were still without power Shifted the trans back into park and turned the key to off, but it would not turn all the way to wheel lock and can not be removed. I've checked the battery here and post to post shows ~ 13 vdc. Checking the + lead as far as I can track it and negative as chassis ground is still showing 13vdc. Checking in the engine fuse block and cabin fuse block I am not finding voltage at any of the fuses (assuming the fuse connection should be the positive with the chassis as neg) Is there any fuseable link in the battery lead going to the fuse block or computer?I am 25 miles from the closest autozone etc.Suggestions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh sequence addition:: when I went to start the car after connecting the jumpers the security system went off when I opened the door so I shut off the alarm with the remote, put the key into the ignition, turned the key the dash lights came on and the car started right up.
Can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
H-4 2.5 L. Not Turbo charged
In the main fuse box which should be under hood I show a 100 amp maxi or large fuse.This fuse connects the power in from the battery to all electronics in the vehicle.If this has not been checked/tested I would have this done to see if this fuse is blown needing replaced.Here is a diagram of the power input from the battery on this model here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax3sv9a16ip5h1y/sub-04-19.gif?dl=0It is shown here as the main fuse.https://www.dropbox.com/s/79dlu9dwks4n8wy/main-04-19.gif?dl=0 You can disconnect the battery then remove this fuse then take a multi meter and test across from terminal to terminal for this fuse to see if there is a resistance reading.If there is then the fuse is o.k.,if the circuit reads open then the fuse needs replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll check this main fuse later this morning. I had checked the smaller plugable fuses but hadn't tried this big one.Thanks John
Your welcome John.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready. Thanks Pete