Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Subaru Outback: I left my keys in the ignition of my 2014 Subaru

Customer Question

I left my keys in the ignition of my 2014 Subaru Outback in my driveway for about 4 hours, came out to drive the car and it would not start - the starter did not turn over. The dashboard lit up and the key lock works, but nothing else. Any thoughts?
I am wondering if leaving the key in disabled something electronically. It shouldn't drain the battery, should it?
Any thoughts?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Its possible to have drained the battery especially if the battery is older and weak.Have you tried to jump start it yet?Do you have a volt meter to use for some testing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jump started fine but my question relates to why leaving the keys in the ignition in the off position would drain the battèry?
Thanks,With the key in the ignition, the computer does not "go to sleep" and time out like usuall and is enough amp draw to drain the battery. You should have the battery tested for whats called "cranking reserve" to see if it holds a full charge in reserve when not in use. if battery checks out good then nothing to worry about other than taking the key out :-)Larry