Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

My son's 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon's windshield

Customer Question

My son's 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon's windshield wipers stopped working. He says the motor still makes motor sounds but the wipers don't move. Either the bushing or transmission linkage is probably broken. He took it to a repair shop who told him he to replace the motor and linkage assembly will cost $600 (!). Is this a DIY project?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,If you can remove the cowl, then this is something that you could do on your own. Especially if the motor still works. If it only popped off the link that is connected to the motor this one link can be replaced and it will resolve the issue. Removing the cowl is fairly easy, then you can look inside to see what exactly is going on. Remove the wiper arms by removing the caps at the base of the arms, then the 14mm nuts. Pull the arms off, then the screws on the cowl and remove the cowl. There are some clips that will also come off of the cowl.Then you can see what's going on in there. Once you get this far, let me know and we can determine what needs to be replaced.