tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I gave had exterior plastic parts on my 2015 Impreza replaced

Customer Question

I gave had exterior plastic parts on my 2015 Impreza replaced because of melting and pitting and shrinking: the holders of the side mirrors, the grill, the insignia, the flat plastic under the front windshield wipers -- and now the new grill is melting again, starting at the passenger side bottom.
I live in Port Townsend, WA. It is not extremely hot. What is going on?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  mike switzer replied 9 months ago.
i have a 2015 subaru wrx myself and lived in california during 100 degree summers and i never had this issue. have you spoke with the dealer about this yet?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Of course I spoke to the dealer that is how I got them replaced for free they did not know either why this would happen. I was hoping I could hear from an expert about why. I guess you don't research further than the dealer. This really isn't a satisfactory of course I spoke to the dealer that is how I got them replaced for free they did not know either why this would happen. I was hoping I could hear from an expert about why. I guess you don't research further than the dealer. This really isn't a satisfactory answer.
i was just inquiring as to if you have. where in washington do you live i know coastal climates with the salt air can cause things to be effected easily but i am not 100% if that is you issue. i will opt out so someone else my try and meet your expectations.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. How do I make arrangements for someone else to get back to me? Yes, I live near a bay but honestly all of Japan is near water, isn't it? I have had many cars since I've lived here and none of them have had this happen -- they were not Subarus. I am bewildered and the dealers seem to be bewildered. I was hoping someone had heard of this happening and know why. When I contact the dealers it will be for the THIRD time in a little over a year. I know that others have had this problem because the dealer told me but I don't know how many or why. I think it is deficient plastic parts and would like to find out if this is documented.
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.
Hi,I've heard of this phenomenon before,the cause was direct sunlight reflecting off of a tall building with mirror like glass,not sure if this is something that may be happening to your car but this is what was the cause of a Subaru we dealt with in the Northeast.I'm unclear whether or not the problem is occurring again,let me know if you would like to discuss this further,thanks for your time