George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years

Subaru Legacy: My son just had his 2008 Legacy in to the dealership

Customer Question

My son just had his 2008 Legacy in to the dealership for it's 90,000 mile service. They found an extra $3,950.00 worth of work to do on it in addition to the 90,000 service. They also said that it sounded like the engine was in the beginning stages of going bad. It doesn't seem worth reinvesting in this car considering that the car is not worth much more than that. What is your opinion?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I have just one question, Did they also offer to show him a new car and give him trade in value for his despite the work it "needs"?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They said they would take it on trade in for a car on their lot, but only after my son asked if they would buy it from him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They never mention what they would give him for it on a trade in.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The man at the Subaru dealership told him that it is probably in his best interest to sell it.
This whole deal smells of typical dealer manipulation so first I would find a certified independent shop in the area and ask them to tell you what it needs. I suspect lots of flushing and filter work has taken place til now. Please let me know if you need a shop in your area by posting a zipcode. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
72703 and thanks!
Not much in the area, try Service Tech Inc. Phone:(###) ###-####2102 Long St Springdale, Arkansas 72764 Or Fast Auto Center , Inc Phone:(###) ###-####1308 sw Elm Tree Rd Bentonville, Arkansas 72712Get Directions via Google Maps Anyone that hangs an ASE blue seal out front would be my choice as well. Get it checked by someone you trust and see what they say. Let me know if you have further questions Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do-thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
FYI Here is the quoteSERVICE
A HEAD GASKETS (STAGE 3) $1,650.00 $300.00 $1,950.00
B REAR BRAKES (2MM PAD THICKNESS) $90.00 $79.95 $169.95
C BOTH FRONT INNER CV BOOTS BUSTED $390.00 $56.00 $446.00
D POWER STEERING PUMP LEAKING $185.00 $375.00 $560.00
E MACHINE FRONT ROOTRS $153.00 $153.00
F FRONT SWAY BAR END LINKS $120.00 $85.00 $205.00
G REAR SWAY BAR END LINKS $62.00 $66.00 $128.00
$2,650.00 $961.95 $3,611.95
SUBTOTAL $3,611.95
TAX $352.17
TOTAL $3,964.12
If it really needs head gaskets that is a surprisingly fair price. If they do the whole job. For the rest you can probably get it done for 40% less at an independent. I question the power steering pump the most. They are going to machine the front rotors yet replace the rear brake pads? Get a second set of eyes on this and ask to get a quote for any required work. Do not show them this estimate before they do the inspection. You can ask about headgasket or brakes and leaks but I would not go further than that. Please let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it ok to bring up ALL the things the dealership said needed to be repaired without showing them the estimate? We are concerned that something might get overlooked if we don't.
I would wait until they come out with their estimate. Don't play "gotcha" no one like that but explain what the dealer told you if their estimate comes back significantly different. Mention any concerns present with noise, leaks, expected maintenance and see what they say. I have worked for great dealers and ones where I didn't stay long due to their practices, let me know what I can do to help Thank you'