tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

My name is ***** ***** i was trying to diagnose a power

Customer Question

HI, my name is ***** ***** i was trying to diagnose a power window issue in my 2011 Subaru outback. I swapped the window 20A fuse with one in the engine compartment and think I may swapped in the wrong location in the engine. After done "working" on things tried to leave in the car, car started, many lights on the dash started blinking, brake, check engine, and a few others. turned around and came back. turned off and tried to start again and car started but ran a bit funny and smelled of unburned gas. turned off and will not turn back on. hear click from starter, but that is it. Any ideas or should I just take it in to the shop and let someone that knows what they are doing work on it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no thats about it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.
Hi,there is a fuse diagram on the inside cover of the under hood fuse box, this might help with the location of this 20 amp fuse,at first I thought maybe you pulled the 02 sensor heater fuse but now that it wont start I doubt that was it,take a look at the fuse diagram and let me know if it is any help to you,by the way did swapping the fuse help with the power window fault?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No on both. Have been looking at diagram for a while, I only moved 1 20A fuse in the box. I am showing a missing automatic transmission control unit 15A fuse, the manual rates it as a 15, but the diagram in the top of the bad shows it at a 10A. Either way I did not move anything besides a 20A. I did put the 20 in that slot at one point, could this of caused a problem?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also was not the fuse or the power window control unit for the window thinking it is probably the motor then, sound correct?
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.
No it couldn't there are many empty slots in the box let me take a look at the diagram to try and narrow it down for you.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,fuses in the main box numbered 1,11,19,20 should be 20 amp, the fuse I think that was removed is #19 this controls the electronic throttle relay ,this would also cause all the warning lights and the no start,place the fuse in this slot and let me know,thanks