Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Subaru Legacy 2.5I: Just replaced turbo on my 2.5GT Legacy

Customer Question

Just replaced turbo on my 2.5GT Legacy 2005. Mechanic says there is coolant in the intercooler. Clean it or replace it?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
HI there,Honestly it would likely be best to replace it. Even with a used one. Otherwise you will suck it into the engine. Without knowing how much is in there AND even after you clean it there will be water in it, seems like you would not want to take a chance of sucking this into the engine.I would get a used one to be honest. Probably the least expensive method and you know it won't cause any issues.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has been suggested to bypass the intrcooler to determine if it needs to be replced. Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Well, if you bypass it then you won't get any coolant sucked into the engine or turbo. I would say the issue there would be that it won't cool like it should. This could decrease the power because the cooler the air the denser it is. This is part of what generates the HP.You could bypass it.