Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is on my 2005 outback

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** and my issue is on my 2005 outback when I set the cruise control at lets say 65 mph it holds the speed for about 30 seconds and then the light begins to flash
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: while the cruise control is on for the 30 seconds the speed is not steady it fluctuates
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Are any other lights on?Check engine light, traction control or air bag light?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkWithout codes from the cruise system this is a tough one. The fact that there isn't any other lights on does eliminate a few items, but I still suggest a scan as a first step. In the long run it could save you some money.I believe the issue will either be the brake light switch, the cruise switch or the clutch switch if the car has a manual transmission.If it was one of the speed sensors then it would likely set off at least an ABS light or check engine light. This would also be the same for the cruise control module and I don't think it would set at all should that be the case. Sorry I don't have more info for you to go on here, but I also have limited info with only the symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All those components are good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
In that case I would most definitely suggest you have it scanned. Unless for some reason it's losing signal through the spiral cable, I don't see another solution to put you on the right track to be honest. If there aren't any codes stored in the module, then it will have to be driven with the tool connected and pull the code when it fails.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to open this back up for the other experts in case someone else has some ideas.
Expert:  tamaz replied 6 months ago.
Hi ,I've found a service bulletin that describes cruise switch vibration causing problems #15-114-05 this bulletin involves accessing cruise switch on steering wheel and placing a piece of non woven material inside to eliminate the vibration and possibly eliminating your problem,thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My problem is not the switch
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 months ago.
Here are Schematics & Plugs (4)Click Attachments below
please ignore my last post, as it has nothing to do with youit was a mistake & meant for another customersorry........