camerontech
camerontech, diagnostic auto tech
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Subaru forester: My subaru forester,2005, needs a new head

Customer Question

My subaru forester,2005, needs a new head gasket - it has 183000 miles would it be wise to do it or ti e to trade in
Category: Subaru
Expert:  camerontech replied 8 months ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced technician.this will depend on the vehicles overall condition.how is the1. body and undercarage2. breaks3. suspension4. transmissioni would have a tech go over your vehicle and get his opinion on the vehicles condition.If the car has been taken care of and is in great condition, than it can be worth the repair.if the car Is going to be needing brakes, lines and front end it might be time to trade it in.generally once the vehicle is at 200k miles, it can be a little cutious on replacing the head gaskets, as sometimes bolting on fresh heads can lead to bottom end issues and can trigger the engine to fail from increased compression from the new heads.IF you can do the repair yourself and are just going to clean the heads and install an new gasket, than this can be the way to go as this is the most cost effective.rebuilding heads and installing new gaskets can be $1800 +. and if the car is only worth $1500, and will require more work to keep in top condition soon after, is not cost effective and would be better off investing into a newer vehicle.I Would have a tech have a good look over it and ask their opion and voice your concerns
let me know how you make out!I am always available for follow upspleas take a moment to rate me!and i appreciate positive ratingsthanks.cam