sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2007 Subaru b9 Tribeca. the differential temp light

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Subaru b9 Tribeca.
the differential temp light goes on and off randomly even when the car is not warmed up for very long.
and I cant find a listing for a differential temp. sensor.
what might be the problem?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be a few things.

It could be the sensor itself.

It may be a wiring issue or it could be a connection problem at the differential. An open circuit or increased resistance in the temperature sensor signal or sensor ground circuit will cause the light to come on.

The first thing I would recommend is a visual inspection of the wiring and connections. You can disconnect the electrical connector and check for corrosion on the terminals on both sides. A small amount of corrosion may be cleaned up, but it may require connector replacement if it's excessive.

If no problems are found then testing would need to be done at the time the problem is happening, odds are the sensor is the issue if no wiring or connection problems are seen.