Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2005 Subaru Outback with key in ignition and car

Customer Question

2005 Subaru Outback with key in ignition and car running...driver opens door to run into house to get something....door shuts.Bam! Car locks with doors locked, car running...and no way to get spare key.
Why did that happen and how to prevent it again.?
Yes, I know having a spare key is a great used...but husband had it and was how to turn off or prevent doors locking while engine running?
Situation pulls into driveway...husband gets out ...leaves keys in car.....Car is not locked....he goes back to
car to get has locked itself with keys in the car? Why is this happening and how to prevent it....Very inconvenient.....
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

#1 I can not tell if the current issue is the car locked and running or is that just a scenario that has happened in the past. You could of accidentally hit the lock button with the door open, then shut the door. The door wiring could be damaged in the door jam and its shorting together and sending a signal that you requested the doors to lock. The body integrated unit could be faulty.

#2 Possibly caused by the last 2 issues for concern 1 if the doors were confirmed not locked once shut.

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris