Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My Subaru 2.5 2001 outback starts and runs few seconds and

Customer Question

hi my Subaru 2.5 2001 outback starts and runs for a few seconds and stops
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: ubaru 2.5 2001 outback starts and runs for a few seconds and stops
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new fuel pump
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Subaru Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Subaru Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Subaru Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Was there any type of work done prior to the problem?
Check engine light on by chance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No work no engine light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok

How many miles on the car please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
100,000
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok

I have a couple ideas for you.

First, you might have a plugged up catalytic converter. A good way to tell is to remove the O2 sensor from the front converter and start the car. If it keeps running, then it's likely the converter is blocking the exhaust flow, and removing the sensor gives the exhaust a place to go.

Second, it is possible there is a problem with the timing. If the belt jumped time a few teeth, then the car won't want to stay running. To test for this, either pull the timing cover and set up the alignment marks, or sometimes a compression test will point to the problem.

Finally, take a look at the large vacuum lines back on the passenger side of the throttle at the back of the engine. The breather tube as well as the PCV valve live back here. If one of them has split or broken off, then the engine will stall due to a large vacuum leak.

These are the areas I would look at next since you have done the fuel pump and checked for codes.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Useless as Tits on a bull!!!!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

hahahahahahah!!!!! I guess you found the problem?