Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a Subaru 1998 Brighton, with just 134000 ***** *****,

Customer Question

My name is Art. I have a Subaru 1998 Brighton, with just 134000 ***** *****, 2 weeks ago the timing belt fail. I towed the car home and I took it apart and I notice that the idler from the pump seized, causing the belt and the other components to get out of place. I am a mechanic, I always work in my cars. I bought the timing belt kid with the pump and all the idlers. I installed and tried to start it. I won't start. I follow the instructions, I took the belt apart "7 times" to see if I have missed something. I even took the old belt back and nothing. I have spark, I have compression, the cylinders have fuel. The marks on the belt are right on the cams markings. Any sugestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a 2.2 engine, I have fuel, I have spark, and I believe the time is right( according to the timing belt and the cams markings). But when I tried to start the enginee, It acts live out of time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

First thing I need you to do is comparing this picture to your matching marks , make sure this is the way you timed the engine.

Let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the marks are right on. I made sure of that.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Here's the mark on the crankshaft sprocket.

Also make sure the crankshaft sensor that you see on this same picture and the cam sensor in the back the driver side cam sprocket are plugged in.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The crankshaft sensor was unplugged and plugged back in. The timing was lined up with the hashtag from the sprocket.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a lot of gas in the chanmbers. And I checked for spark on all cylinders.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Well, remove the spark plugs and dry them out, put them back in , disconnect the mass air flow sensor and try to start the engine ....no gas please.

let me know.

thank you.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

crank the engine for a few seconds with spark plugs out.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. It's kind of late, I will try tomorrow, what do I look for when the spark plugs are out?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

When you have the spark plugs out crank the engine to get the unburned gas out of the cylinders ,then clean the spark plugs and put them back in.

If you have a bad MAF it will flood your engine with gas and it will not start, this is why I want you to disconnect the sensor and try to start it at idle , don't rev the engine.

Let me know tomorrow ,during the day I will be working but I will check in when I have a chance.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks I will let you know asoon as I try.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

OK, have a good night.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I did all of the above:
1) take plugs out
2)unplugged the maf
3) crank the engine with out plugs for 15 sec twice
4)clean and dry plugs
5) plugged them in
6) try to start,(no pushing the gas).
I just get a spuder at the beginning, but that's it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any thoughts???
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the wait ,really busy here.

Are you sure on the marks ,you are not using the arrows on the cams as the marks ,right ?

Did you say there is compression on all cylinders ,did you use the a compression gage ?

let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm taking the covers and I will try to send you a picture.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I took the covers of and the marks are right on. I whish i could send you a pic.
The pressures are 105, 110, 120, and 100.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Before the problem with the timing belt. This car use to start like new. Could the heads be damage?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Yes ,it is possible that you have bent valves.

Were you driving when the belt broke ?

Did you over heat the engine before the timing belt broke ?

I would recommend removing the valve covers and loose the cams and then, do a leak down test.

You can force air into the cylinders using the compression test hose and then listen for air leak at the exhaust/tail pipe or trough the throttle body.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was driving when it happened. I was going up hill actually. I will try the test. I will let you know.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.