Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

I replaced fuel filter on my 1999 forester with out removing

Customer Question

I replaced fuel filter on my 1999 forester with out removing the negative battery cable or removing fuel pump relay. How do is reset the system so pump will continue to supply fuel to engine?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Subaru Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is not battery that is the problem. Because after I replaced the fuel filter it would start but not remain running.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes But I cannot locate the fuel pump relay.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have gone on the web but no clear location for the relay. Also the Haynes manual is not clear on this.
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: No the car was running and drivable before I replaced the filter.
JA: Our top Subaru Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Subaru Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Subaru Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

This will not cause a problem with the fuel pump or the relay. I have done 100's of these at the dealership without doing either without a problem.

How long does the car run before it stalls and what was your reason for the replacement?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 10 seconds. What I failed to do according to my Haynes manual was to remove the negative battery cable and to disconnect the fuel pump relay
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not want to talk to you because I can not afford it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long will the reply take..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anyone there?
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning,

New Expert here. It looks like maybe your expert last night got disconnected. Do you still need help with this? I've changed about a thousand of these fuel filers.