tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

I have a 2003 subaru forester with a rusted hood release

Customer Question

I have a 2003 subaru forester with a rusted hood release cable. How do I open the hood manually. i need to jump the car.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I sprayed wd-40 where I think the release latches were above the headlights. I also had a friend hold down the hood while I used a pair of pliers to pull the cable from the inside of the car.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: Its got 105,000 miles on it and has not been driven on a regular basis for 4 months or so. After the last cold snap I couldn't start the car and haven't been able to open the hood to jump it.
JA: Our top Subaru Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Subaru Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Subaru Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

Hi what happens when you pull the release inside of the car does it move freely or does the handle stick and not return to it's original position

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It moves freely but does not pop the hood.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

The cable may be broken possibly then,is there another person around that may be able to assist you in releasing the hood latch

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my roommate is here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I take the grill off to access the cable from the outside more easily?
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

Great,while someone pulls the release another needs to place pressure on the hood in the center where the hood latches,use movement up and down this sometimes will free the hood release,try this first ,if the grille needs to be removed thing will need to be broken, doing as I described above may help us to possibly not get to that point

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have already tried that with no success.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

Did you try spraying a penetrating oil through the grille onto the latch also

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used wd-40 but was running low and not sure if I was applying it to the right location.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

I'm sure you were at least close,the grille comes off by pulling forward,but the clips need to be released to avoid damaging but in this case you cannot get to them with the hood closed,you can still get to the latch with a long extension and 12mm socket there are 3 bolts holding the latch in place you should be able to remove them if you have the tools, do you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not here at the present moment but I can get them from work tomorrow.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.

we can continue then,this may be the best option the grille may still need to bve removed ,just want to not break thing if we don't need to,thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
great. I will try the 12mm socket tomorrow and contact you again.
Expert:  tamaz replied 7 months ago.