Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

My 2000 outback alarm goes off every time i try to use the

Customer Question

My 2000 outback alarm goes off every time i try to use the remote or the key. This was intermittent for a few days. I removed the remote fob and was only using the key. I was successful on a trial errand locking and unlocking, and then the next time I drove the car to a parking lot using only the key to lock and unlock the car I was stuck there because the alarm would go off each time I tried to turn the key in the ignition. I had to leave my car in the parking lot 16 miles from home overnight. What can I do now? Any thoughts?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

To resolve the immediate issue of getting the car home, cycle the key from off to on 3 times in the ignition. This will turn the alarm off so you can drive the car home.

Resetting the security without the key fob is pretty much impossible on these, but if you can use it just to cycle the locks one time it should stop going off when you open the door and turn the ignition on.

What I see the most when the alarms start acting funky is either a bad remote or water intrusion into one of the lock cylinders. This can cause the alarm to go off for no reason or to act strangely.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

I was wondering if you were able to view my response and if it helped?