Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy that won t accelerate. It takes

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy that won t accelerate. It takes forever to get to 55 mph. No problems starting and runs just fine. Also the power steering doesn't work, not sure if this is related or not.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure, it runs justcfinecsround town but will not as accelerate.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

How many miles do you have on this vehicle ?

When was the last time you replaced your plugs ,wires and filters (fuel and air) ?

Do you have the check engine light ON or does it blink when you try to give gas to pick up speed ?

Try to pull a spark plug off to see the condition of them, also ,check for oil in the spark plug wires where they go into the cylinder heads ?

Is the power steering hard to turn ?

Have you check the power steering fluid to see if it is full ?

Do you have any noise when turning the steering wheel ?

Sorry for all the questions , I need to know to give you a better answer.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll let you know tomorrow, it's not my vehicle, I'll have to ask some ?'s
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

No problem.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, the check engine light is is on! I took it to oReily's was told it was the knock sensor. I changed the plugs, air and fuel filters. The plugs looked bad, fuel and air filters looked good. I took it for spin same sluggish response
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Hi there...

So the engine starts and runs fine right ?

By any chance ,do you have anyone that can check the fuel trims ? (will need a scanner with data to do so)

Wonder what are the fuel/air mix values.

With the engine running can you wiggle the harness by the Mass air flow sensor to see if it the idle changes or get rough ?

Also ,can you disconnect the battery for a minute and then connect it and try to see if the hesitation goes away?

If no and yes to the questions above my best guess would be a weak up stream O2 sensor.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Engine starts but will not stay running without high rpm's, runs worse since I put all ad this effort into it! The vehicle has 113000 miles. Where is the mess air flow sensor?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Hi there ,the mass air flow sensor is mounted on the inlet pipe that goes to the air filter box .

Also it may be a good time to check the timing ,with this mileage is possible that it jumped time.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, So I went back and went over everthing I did. A walla!!! I found that I had a diconected vacuum line. That straitened out the starting issues. I cleaned the mess air sensor as well. Car runs much better, noat a NASCAR but defiantly a driver. I also filled the empty power steering fluid with stop leek fluid, I hope that works.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 8 months ago.

Hi there... I am glad you have fixed the problem .

On the power steering ,looks like you have a leak somewhere ,pump and the pressure hose are common to bad, just keep you eyes on it .

I really appreciate if you take a few seconds of your time and rate my help ,positive rate really help my performance here at this site.

Thank you very much.