Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon that will not start -

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon that will not start - sounds like the timing is off but it isn't. I installed and an engine block from a 2000 Subaru Impreza RS with the 2.5L and cylinder heads from a different Forester. I am wondering if you can confirm the camshaft and crankshaft sprocket parts numbers and appearance for my car? And what cars i could get them from?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

HI there,

What year Forester did the heads come from?

Is the woodruff key int he 3 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position when you have the timing lined up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am not sure what year Forester the heads came from 1999 - 2001. The woodruff key is in the 6 O'clock position. But I know there some changes in the reluctor for Subaru. There is also a secondary triangular timing mark on the crankshaft pulley at the 3'Oclock position when timed.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

When timed properly the woodruff should be at 6 so that seems ok. The triangle is for setting up the valves on these.

I think you should if possible pull your cam sprocket off the passenger side cam of the old running engine, then install it on the cam you are now using. Since we aren't clear on the year of the heads it's extremely possible it's causing the no start condition. Also, check and make sure the cogs on the back of the crank sprocket look the same. I think that will be the same because of the year of the block you used. Shouldn't be an issue there. But the cam sprocket could be different and causing a faulty reading on the cam sensor. This would cause the no start.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The old engine is gone unfortunately or I would just change them out.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok,

Still might be some hope, is the car getting any spark that you know of?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

I am showing the cam gear should be the same for the 2000 forester and the 01 outback. Cam sprockets should be the same with any of the possible forester heads you gave me.

Have you done a compression test on the engine and have you done a valve adjustment on it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's coming up with p0336.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, well according to my info your 01 outback and 00 impreza are using the same crank sprocket.

So, with the crank sensor code, I would guess either the crank sensor is different or there is an issue with the harness connection.

I don't have the part number for the crank sensor to see if they are different or not. Seems unlikely since it's the same crank sprocket, or the timing is off.

Make sure you are using the hash marks on the cams and not the arrows. If you are using the arrows, those are for valve adjustment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I have an 01 Legacy Wagon though - not the Outback. I know they are basically the same but perhaps slightly different.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

The 2.5L engine is pretty much the same for those years. I think you need to check for spark and possibly may need to adjust the valves. Make sure you didn't miss any grounds in the engine compartment or have a pin push out of the main harness. Near as I can tell this should work.