Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2007 forester, recently we rebuilt the heads put

Customer Question

I have a 2007 forester, recently we rebuilt the heads put the engine back in the car and found a no crank no start issue immediately I began to check for and grounds or connections and found none. This is my 3rd forester motor I have done but I have rebuilt plenty STI and etc motors so I have a little knowledge on these motors. So once I got the no crank no start I started checking most of the major things relays, battery starter fuel pump ignition. This is what I have came to find out the fuel pump is not turning on when ignition is set to the on position, ignition wire is only hitting 6v when ever the car is turned too the on position my obdll reader goes blank it will come on both lock and ACC. I'm kind of leaning and filling that this is a problem with the ECU and I have checked the main connection for it. I'm stumped any 💡.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Is the concern a no crank or will it crank but not start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a no crank no start. I did apply 12 v to the ignition lead on the starter and it was cranking but no start.

Thanks so we need to diagnose the ignition switch, starter, starter relay, and park neutral switch.

Auto or manual transmission?

What liter engine?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is a automatic the starter is fine the ignition wire into the starter is only giving me a 6v reading the battery tested 12.5 v, could not locate the correct relay for the the starter but all relays were good, neutral safety switch has not been tested yet. I stopped before I tested that because I noticed the fuel pump was not coming on with the ignition on the on position also with ignition on on position obdll screen turns off.

We need to get it to crank with the key before we can get it to start.

At the starter interlock relay under the left side of the dash are there 2 pins there with battery voltage when trying to start?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have not checked I will have to look tommorrow. Is there a diagram of where that is located and by 2 pins are these coming off the relay

Below is a wire diagram.

There are no wires coming out of the relay. The wires are in the relay panel where the relay plugs in.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
a little confused on what the voltage test should be and I'm not sure I have the right one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I do have the right relay I measure red and white and red and black got .9 volts from the relay plug with the ignition on

You should be testing the pins where the relay plugs in, not the wires. However you can conform your at the correct relay using the wire diagram to match up the wire colors to the relay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I matched up the wires on the diagram I tested the voltage on the red and black pin the red and white pin and only red .9 volts

There should be :

I think your test the interrupt relay not the interlock relay. At the interrupt relay both white/blue wires should be power when trying to start.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it was the interrupt in the morning I will find the interlock and test that

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Measured the interlock this morningINTERLOCK
White/red 11.7v
white/red 11.7v
Blue/red 5v
Green/yellow 9vINTERRUPT
blue/white 11.7v
Blue/white 11.7v
White/red 9vI went back and rechecked the battery

Okay the interrupt is getting the start signal from the key.

The interrupt is energizing and sending power out to the interlock.

Can you OHM test the interlock GN/YE wire to ground while trying to start, it should show no resistance meaning its grounded.

With these results if the interlock is getting a ground, it to would energize and power the BU/RD wire with the relay installed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Chris finally got around to checking the ohms on the green and yellow wire it comes back as 0 ohms. What should I check next?

Great, check the white red wires to the interlock they should be powered when trying to start. If so then this relay should click under your finger tip when starting. If it does then power flow continues to the park neutral inhibitor on the blue/red then turns to a black/yellow wire. If the inhibitor is showing P or N then power will flow out of it on the black/white then the yellow/blue to the starter motor.