Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2005 Subaru XT (turbo) with 125,000 milesvb. ac...

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Subaru XT (turbo) with 125,000 milesvb. ac. . . The turbo went out at 48,000 miles, I've replaced radiator, thermostat, right front axel & bearing (3 times because of heat from the turbo), repaired the air conditioning, both front electric windows, replaced the sway bar & numerous other repairs.
NOW, I NEED A NEW HEAD GASKET & the mechanic wants $5,000 for this.
PLEASE GIVE ME UR OPINION AS TO WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD HAVE HEAD GASKET REPAIRED OR GET A NEW CAR.
THANKS!
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hi im kevin this type of question is tricky as every vehicle is different .these cars are normally pretty reliable so the fact youve had so many issues would suggest mabye you been unlucky .but you have to way up are you going to be better off putting money into a newer more reliable vehicle and cut your losses . The mikage is starting to creep up and thats a large amount to spend on a vehicle that it sounds like youve already heavily invested in .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im retired & my income is limited. I was thinking of buying a car from Hertz & it would have to be an economy car. If this was ur car & you weren't a mechanic, what would you do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

I would have car checked thoroughly to see if there is anything else at all that would need attention in the near future so you know what your going to be looking at down the line

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all