Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

We can't get the key out of the ignition from our Subaru

Customer Question

We can't get the key out of the ignition from our Subaru Outback 2011 what can we do?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can't get the key out of the ignition. It's a 2011 outback. I need it for work. I'm in a wheelchair and it has hand controls. If Subaru needs to keep it I will be out of work again. It was just in the shop for fan belts and it cost me five working days because the loaner they wanted to give me of course was not hand equipped.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm hoping to get the key out myself or have someone come out and help. My neighbor just tried. He even disconnected the battery and the key did not budge. I have jiggled the steering wheel, I have turned it on I drove it around I've been trying everything.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Subaru Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: Just what I shared. I can't think of anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 8 months ago.

Try shifting from park to neutral and then back into park, make sure that the shifter is fully in park and even push it into the park position hard if you have to. There is a switch inside the center console that tells the vehicle it is in park, if the switch is sticking or not working properly it will not release the key. Good luck!

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.