Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I'm gaylan and i'd like to reset the electronics on my 2008

Customer Question

i'm gaylan and i'd like to reset the electronics on my 2008 legacy
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the check engine light and cruise control lights flash as it's going down the road. it'll stop for a few days then do it again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you know what code is causing the check engine light to come on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no codes just flashing check engine and cruise control flash but are not constant.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, here's the thing.

First, when the check engine light comes on, the cruise control is disabled. This is why your cruise light is flashing, Subaru has that as a safety in case the engine light has something to do with the electronic throttle.

Second, when the check engine light is on, there is a code. This is what is making the light come on. Once you know what the code is, you can then locate the problem and resolve it. Once it is resolved, then the lights will stay out.

There are over 500 reasons for the check engine light to come on. This is why we need the P code that is causing it. This will not go away until the cause is resolved. If the light is going out on it's own, then it has to be scanned when the light is on. It has to be something the car is testing as it goes and either passes at times or is reset until it's tested again.

Flashing check engine light usually means that there is a cylinder misfire. Typically the ignition coil or spark plug wires are the root cause of the problem.