Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2008 Subaru legacy opened up garage door this am tail lites

Customer Question

2008 Subaru legacy opened up garage door this am tail lites where on all switches for lites were in off position battery is dead or will not crank engine over with key on and stepping on brake peddle the car will not go in neutral what is wrong?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

HI there,

If the battery is dead then the shift lock won't work. You need to use the shift lock override. I believe on the 00 it's a small piece of plastic you will remove from the shift cover, just above the drive indicator letters. Then push a small screwdriver or pen cap in there and pull the shifter back at the same time. This should get you into neutral.

As for the lights being on, make sure to check the rocker switch up on the top of the steering column. This is for the parking lights and sometimes get's bumped on by mistake. It's the only power source to the lights with the keys off.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?