Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

My subaru is overheating when going up ll
, temp stays

Customer Question

my subaru is overheating when going up hill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: temp stays perfect in normal driving conditions when going up steep inclines the temp gauge will go from normal to quickly rising had cooling system pressurized and no leaks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what is the year and model of your subaru?

what engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5L

sorry i missed you..

do you ever hear/see that the cooling fan comes on?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cooling fan come on but radiator doesn't get very warm. No hot or cold spots on the radiator. I'm having the thermostat switched out as we speak, hopefully that fixes the lack of flow. I don't have the actual code but I know it's on because of a misfire in cylinder #2. The engine was rebuilt recently and the mechanic says the valves need to be adjusted. Not sure if this is related to the overheating problem. I don't think it is because like I said the radiator is cool all over even when the car is up to normal running temp.

ok..sense the fan does work and from te way you expain the problem,it sounds as if you may have air trapped in the cooling system.

lets bleed the system this way.

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes.

let me know if that worked for you

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.