Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I installed a new timing belt. it lines up great, I try to

Customer Question

I installed a new timing belt. it lines up great, I try to start it and it jumps again.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It wont stay in time when you crank it. I line it up and turn it by hand and it stays, I crank it and it jumps
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new belt and idlers
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: I rotated everything by hand and everything seems ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

hello, sorry for the delay. so what year and model and engine are you working on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1996 legacy outback 2.5 eng
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** replaced the tensioner as well?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

HERE Is the diagram, what parts did you replace and did you set the tensioner correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not the tensioner but I changed the idlers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I collapsed the tensioner as per the book
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

OK and did it retension?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

a belt will come off for 2 reasons, loose tensioner or misaligned pulleys

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it extended when I pulled out the pin and the belt seemed to tighten
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

were your instructions like these here?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

is there any wetness near the tensioner? it should not be able to be compressed easily. i am willing to bet you are correct in the timing but should replace the tensioner as well, the new one should come compressed already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not move the tensioner after I installed the belt
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok you need to watch the tensioner as you crank the engine , to see if the tensioner is moving a little too much. Also why did you replace the timing belt ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assumed it jumped time and so while I was in there I fiqured I should
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

ok the tensioner needs to be replaced before you do anything else. And slowly rotate the engine by hand to see how it acts. If it jumps again then you may have the timing off and valves are hitting Pistons. This is what I see happening. So do the tensioner. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.