tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

My 95 legacy awd doesn't work without the fuse in awd fuse

Customer Question

my 95 legacy awd doesn't work without the fuse in awd fuse plug (or with it).....no CEL on......only right front spins on slippery ground.......
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have only noticed the car is front wheel drive only when it's snowed and
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hoping yes.....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: I don't think so......it's automatic and seems to shift up or down fine.....car
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi the problem could be caused by the transfer clutches in the rear of the transmission being burnt and not applying,the CEL wouldn't come on for this problem you would sometimes get a flashing AT TEMP light at start up most times signifying a problem with the transfer clutch duty solenoid this solenoid is responsible for applying fluid pressure to the transfer clutches depending on wheel slippage.The back half of the transmission should come apart for close inspection of this system.