tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

When I am at the gas station and (attempt) to fill up my

Customer Question

When I am at the gas station and (attempt) to fill up my wrx, if I don't pump super slow, the filler neck fills up with gas and the pump stops from the back pressure. I've replaced the charcoal canister and the vapor valve, and checked to see if any of the hoses are blocked, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be and would appreciate some help.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 10 months ago.

Hi ,at the charcoal canister there are 3 hoses the smaller one is the purge line ,on the canister the other 2 hoses are marked drain and fuel tank,while you are refueling remove the hose marked fuel tank if you can fuel normally the problem is most likely between the canister and the vent going into frame rail,if not its from the hose to the tank, hope this helps ,thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anything else on that hose that goes from the canister to the tank. I took all three hoses off just to be sure,and no different in pumping.
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi, yes there is a vent valve that this hose goes to,that is why I had you remove it ,it splits the system in half .The problem must be with this valve is stuck not allowing proper venting,the tank needs to be removed to replace this,thanks for your time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you talking about the valve that's bolted on along with the filter right next to the canister? That's called a vent valve and I've replaced it before and I took it off the day blew it and I was able to.
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi. no this vent valve is on top of the tank here's a pic it's #34 on the fuel tank, your problem is eiher wih his valve or a obstruction in the hose going to it