tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have an 05 legacy gt limited and that I bought a few days

Customer Question

hey ***** ***** I have an 05 legacy gt limited and that I bought a few days ago and the stitch between the defroster , front vents, and foot vents is stuck on the front vents
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well the heat and ac work but whe I try and push the button for the defroster they don't come on and the front facing blowers stay on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi,what type of system is this a automatic or manual ?I believe because it is a GT it would be automatic but like to make sure before we continue,thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a manual
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi , because this is a manual system the most likely cause is the cable may be detached from the heater case.You will need to get under the dash to see if this is the case, the heater case is in the center of the car behind the dash,you will need to remove the lower panels and possibly the knee panel on drivers side,do you need instructions on doing this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please that would be super helpful
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi ,here's instructions on removal, once this is done you will be able to see where the cable is that controls the air flow

Hi again,I'd like for you to just remove the lower panel on the drivers side first, it's removed by simply removing the 3 clips that secure it,I don't want to take to much apart just yet,by removing the panel you will at least be able to see if cable is attached,thanks

Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Hi disregard that first message I cannot send that file, after you remove the lower panel let me know what you find

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay I'll let you know what I find thank you
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

I'll be here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't think we're talking about the same system mine isn't the mechanical one mines the digital display where you press the button to cycle through the modes
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

No problem this is the automatic system then,so when you pressthe mode button nothing changes then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it stays on the front facing vents
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

To your knowledge do all the other functions work?What happens when you select auto feature

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to my knowledge everything else works. When you press auto usually it will say the bottom blowers are on but the top ones are always on.
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

There is a diagnostic procedure that is built into the system to help find faults,it may be the head unit or a fault with one of the door actuators that direct air flow, let me look it up for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

Here is the chart it's very detailed let me know what you find

Expert:  tamaz replied 9 months ago.

I will be offline till later today let me know if you have more questions ,thanks