Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I'm ***** *****, I have a 08 Imprezza with check engine

Customer Question

Hi I'm ***** *****, I have a 08 Imprezza with check engine codes P0420 and P0500
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The check engine light and flashing cruise control light come on intermittently, I went to my auto parts store and got the codes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 10 months ago.

Hello , I will try my best to help you with your concern.

first a couple of questions

Have you had a recent work done to the vehicle?

Is the speedometer working?

Have you noticed anything about the way the vehicle is running or driving recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've had the transmission rebuilt about 18 months ago, Timing belt replaced about the same time. 4 tires replaced and alignment about 2 months ago. The speedometer is working. It seems normal other than the check engine light.

ok thanks for the info.

The p0420 code is indicating that the catalytic converter is not operating at prime efficiency

usually over time the catalytic converter will deteriorate causing this code. If this is the case you will have to replace the converter assembly.

the p0500 code is for a fault in the speed sensor circuit.

could possibly be related to the recent transmission work, but it might have been there before and just wasn't cleared.

the only way to know is to clear the codes and see what comes back.

the p0420 will always light up the check engine light, the p0500 might not

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to take it in for service to have the codes cleared?

you can do that or go back to where you had them read and they can clear them. if the light comes back on, recheck what codes came back