Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

We have a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited with CVT 4 cylinder.

Customer Question

We have a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited with CVT 4 cylinder. It was in an accident last year, being hit from the rear. Since then the alarm will go off randomly after it has been locked. The rear hatch must be slammed in order to turn off the inside open door light. Could that be the reason for the alarm going off? The latch or some sort of senor in the rear door? The battery went dead a week ago, but this problem has been going on before the replacement.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. It very well could be the cause, and since you have to slam it to get the light out that is what I suspect. An advanced type scanner capable of communicating with the alarm system will be able to read off alarm triggers that are stored in the module. So if adjusting the rear hatch doesn't help it, I would then have those codes read off and see what triggers are stored for the alarm. Until you read off what has triggered the alarm you are kind of guessing, but it sounds like the rear hatch would be most likely. If the alarm went off for awhile, then it could possibly contribute to the battery going dead. I believe those problems could be related. So I would get the alarm issue fixed first, and likely it would take care of the battery issue in the event the battery didn't need replacement anyway. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.