peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Len --Have a donor WRX 2L turbo in a FF kit car. Had problem

Customer Question

Len --Have a donor WRX 2L turbo in a FF kit car. Had problem starting engine. Engine had wrong crank and cam gears. Changed to new gears for WRX. Only two cylinders firing (spark and combustion). No spark on other cyls. New crank position sensor. Measured cam sensor as 1.6. thousand ohms.( Supposed to be 1-4 K ohms?). Checked continuity of sensors to ECU. New plugs. Verified plug coils OK.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not well versed on auto engines. What other info can I provide.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you tell me the year of your engine and what type of Subaru is was removed from and also are you still running the factory Subaru engine control system and if are you able to scan the system and see if there are any fault codes setting . If there are can you also post back with the as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From 2003 Impreza wrx. Standard ecu. Tried a different ecu no help
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to scan the computer system and see if there any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Okay so do you have injector pulse on all cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are getting spark on 1 and 2 none on 3 and 4
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the timing belt alignment, An out of time timing belt can cause no spark condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing has been checked four times. Belt off each time. Timed by proffesional
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Well unfortunately with out it setting any fault codes this makes it very hard to try and diagnose with out being there to do hands on testing. I would suspect its may be a wiring issue but I can not say for sure. Im going to open the post back up and maybe someone else has something else to offer for you. Please do not post back as it will lock it to me and other can not help if they can.

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you saying the timing belt has been off each time it has been checked and it had to be put back on properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belt off each time just to make sure we didn't make a silly mistake. Get good spark on 1 and 2 nothing on 3 and 4. Gets combustion on 2 cylinder.

If the belt is off each time you check it this has to be an issue with either the belt tensioner itself at fault needing replaced or an issue with one of the timing components being worn out or damaged needing replaced.The timing components need re checked to locate which component is the cause here and then from there that component usually needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete