George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

I have a 2014 Forester. It was out of line last year but I

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 2014 Forester. It was out of line last year but I didn't catch it so 2 of the tire's
A little on the outer tread. Now there is only one trend one of the tires that the outer trend worn down to below the penny test. Everything else is fine on the tire and on all the others. I only have 36,000 on the car. Unfortunelty I had the tires rotated at 29,000. I went in for a service at the dealer told them not to rotate but the did. I think this problem may not be there if I told the dealership to which the tire's back.
So my question is do I need to buy all 4 tires? And if this wear from alignment or should I be telling the dealership to check for something else? Thanks
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

With 36,000 on the "good" tires if you installed two new tires that would put then above the 3/8" maximum variation between the tires allowed so you would need to replace all 4. One of the unfortunate effects of having an all wheel drive vehicle.

Have you had it aligned? Did they give you the final specific readings with the repair order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an alignment last December. I was going to schedule for one this month but notice the tire wear. Thank you for your advice. I didn't want to be told the wrong solution. How often should you have an alignment with AWD?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Every few years for the alignment unless you hit a hole and knock it out or you notice tire wear.

Did the dealer mention the tire wear in December?

It is only the one tire that wore or is it both front tires?