Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Steering is extremely hard when fist cranking up. It is easy

Customer Question

steering is extremely hard when fist cranking up. It is easy at highway speeds.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

It sounds like the power steering pump may be weak. Do you know what the pressure output is?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

I see, thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

A good quick test on it is to make sure it's full and then hold the pressure hose while someone turns the steering wheel all the way to one side for 2 or 3 seconds. The hose should sort of bounce when they do and you can feel if it has pressure in it. Average pressure rise at full turn is about 750 PSI with a good working pump.

.

If it doesn't put out enough pressure the power steering pump is bad.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****