john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback turbo awd, the trans was

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2007 Subaru Outback turbo awd, the trans was slipping, I bought a used one. The car was fine for a day now this one is slipping.
Im starting to wonder if the first one was ever bad in the first place.
There is no codes when scanned...Please help
Thanks
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 10 months ago.

Did you flush the cooler and lines? Did you replace the torq converter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did flush the system.
Converter is original

the used unit did not come with converter? usually debris in the system is the cause... I would replace the unit and the converter...contamination in the converter likely destroyed the new unit

The finer particles get past the filter and stuck in the fiber washers in the converter and trash it,

If a torque converter fails a stall test or is leaking, it must be replaced. Most experts recommend replacing the torque converter if an automatic transmission or transaxle has failed and is being replaced. Why? Because the torque converter acts like a garbage pit and traps a lot of the debris that results from normal wear. The debris may then contaminate and damage the new transmission. Why not just rinse out the old torque converter with solvent? The design of the wheels and large surface area inside the converter make it very difficult to clean.

By the time most transmissions need to be replaced, the friction linings inside a lockup converter are reaching the end of their service life. Reusing a lockup torque converter with worn linings is asking for trouble. And since there's no easy way to open up and clean or rebuild the internal components (doing so requires cutting open the housing on a lathe and rewelding the housing to seal it back up), replacement is your only option. A locked one-way clutch will also cause the fluid to run dangerously hot, which can damage the transmission and lead to transmission failure. If the one-way clutch fails to hold its position and freewheels in both directions, the torque converter can't multiply torque normally and the vehicle will accelerate slowly (like starting out in second gear). The only cure for either condition is to replace the torque converter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This makes sense .hopefully its not too late ..thanks for your help

no problem it likely did damage

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

hope you can rate me 5 star