Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Zac I have a 2006 subaru wrx. Won't start. car turns over,

Customer Question

Customer: Zac I have a 2006 subaru wrx. Won't start. car turns over, but fuel pump does not kick on. pump is not getting a signal. i did run the pump with an external battery signal. pump now runs, but still no start. I am guessing no spark either. Is there a fuse or circuit that will kill power to the engine ecm?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else to tell. Start will engage with the key in "start", but the fuel pump doesn't, and i don't think ignition does either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you have two keys, and they both do this?

What is the immobiliser light doing while trying to start?

Next thing to check is whether the timing belt is intact.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have two keys, both original, both do the same. Security light flashes in "on" position until starter is engaged in "start" position, then goes out. Says out when returned to "on". 61000 miles.fuel pump is not getting signal. Is there something that would prevent signal to fuel pump and not send ignition signal. Fuel pump works on secondary battery, but car sit does not fire.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Ok, immobiliser and keys are ok.

Please check the timing belt as requested.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay, i'll check the timing belt and let you know. It will likely take me a night or two to get that complete
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I'll wait for you.

The timing needs to be checked to ensure it is correct.

All the timing marks must line up correctly.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No spark. Timing belt appears fine, all marks match. After further checking fuse and circuits determined that the ecu is what sends signals both to the coils and the fuel pump controller (original question). No signal at either location. Ecu is dead. Power to it but nothing out.