peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My passenger headlight works intermittently. sometimes i

Customer Question

Customer: my passenger headlight works intermittently. sometimes i turn the headlights on and it turns on, other times not.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes. sorry, i pressed enter too soon. so the issue also corresponds to something behind the passenger side of the dashboard , i think., sometimes it clicks and the btoh headlights go on, other times it click with a different sound and only the driver side headlight goes on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i did the credit card deposit thing . $25 seems fair as im pretty annoyed withg the current situation and i certainly dont want a ticket
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model of your vehicle here as well as engine liter size so I can look up some info on this?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Pete. of course im a fool for not including this information in the original post . its a 2006 subaru forester (non-turbo) US model

Do you know if you have HID head lights or non HID head lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great question. the issue began happening before i swapped in HID bulbs/balasts. i had assumed that the bulb filament was on its last legs and swapped in HIDs instead of just the bulb . the issue continues, however. makes me think thats shy its independent of the HID question but i defer to you

Are you saying you did a conversion to HID and it had non HID before you put them in or that it already had HID installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did an HID conversion . the vehicle originally had regular halogen low beams

was this a factory conversion or after market and did this issue only occur after the conversion?If this is after market I know some after market kits require a control module to be installed when the conversion is done were all parts needed installed and wired in properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the issue was present before the conversion was performed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is an aftermarket conversion using a Kensun Kit form amazon

O.k.,I will have to go with the diagram info for the non HID since this would match your vehicles wiring info up to the conversion.One more thing here.Can I get your vehicles VIN number as there are VIN break points for the lighting system?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JF1SG65686H740688
again, i am stuck by the two different sounds coming from behind the dashboard . In one case, it is a clean click and both lights go on and in the other case, it clicks but with an additional noise (sounds like spring) and in that case, only the driover side headlight goes on. my first thought was it is a relay but would that not shut off both lights ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
struck not stuck ! not my best morning

O.k.,thanks for that.

Your model uses a day time running lamp relay that the low beam signals run through.This relay clicks off and on with the head lights switched off or on.It sounds like this relay is failing as its contacts and coil internally in this relay can start to fail and cause this here.This relay is located behind the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle or behind the glove box area.I dont show a great picture or replacement of this here but this is what I have on this.It is component B102 in this diagram:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3am9hpxrhsk2z7/day-01-14.gif?dl=0

I show a cost of around $28 for this relay and needs obtained from a dealer.

This sounds like what you have occuring here exactly as it can weaken with its contacts and cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont think that is the issue because i disconnected the DRL unit entirely and the issue is exactly the same as before. in other words, it makes no difference whether the unit behind the dashboard is connected or not, the headlights behave identically .
is there anything else behind the dashboard that i should be looking at ? thanks

Was it the DRL relay you unplugged or the DRL control unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats good question. now that i think about it, it may have been the DRL control unit (i believe it was an 8 pin harness ). i will remove the dashboard tonight and look for the relay you mentioned. the drop box link doesnt work , would you provide the part number so i can check it online/order it ? thanks

The link is working for me here.You might re check it or try and open it in a new web browser and see if it opens.It isnt the greatest picture but it is located behind the dash on the passenger side behind the glove box area.Unfortunately my inf isnt showing me a part number for this relay.You can however contact a dealers parts department by phone with your vehicles VIN number and they should be able to tell you the part number over the phone for this here.Once you have the number you can order it through them or see if you can locate it online.I apologize but sometimes my info will show the cost of parts but not give me a part number and in some cases this can be due to different option part numbers depending on the model vehicle.

Thanks Pete