Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Need info to fit a 1998 SUBARU FORESTER SF5 2.0L DOHC TURBO

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****,need info to fit a 1998 SUBARU FORESTER SF5 2.0L DOHC TURBO ENGINE AUTO AWD into a 1999 2.5 forester
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my 1999 foresters tranny blew out..may make sense to replace engine and tranny if the 1998 engine fits?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** do this you will need the wiring harness and the computer from the 1999 2.0, as the 2.5 computer will not run the 2.0 engine, it has totally different fuel maps, and the wiring is different, do you have the harness and computer from the 2.0?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

in order to swap to the 2.0, this will need to be done, I would just stick with the engine you have and replace the transmission,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim