peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2015 outback steering column locked, wheels not turned.

Customer Question

Customer: 2015 outback steering column locked, wheels not turned.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ignition will not engage when brake is pressed and key is in ignition.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One component that can fail and cause an issue like this here is the steering column lock itself.This is an electronic controlled lock that will fail and cause this issue here.The below diagram is a picture of this lock on your steering column.I have had to replace this lock on several models before in the past for this issue here.This will need tested further to be sure this is the cause but from what you have described this does sound like the fault.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgpjkl7rt9t0wtx/lo-01-11.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete