john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

My name is ***** *****. I own a 2007 WRX STI "hawkeye".

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****. I own a 2007 WRX STI "hawkeye". During cold weather (0 to -10 Celcius) there is a loud whining noise coming under the hood. Power steering fluid and pump is ok, transmission etc is also fine). Noise increases during accelerating, but there is no loss in power and speed, car just works fine as it should, but the noise is quite horrible. Even after long ride when motor has heated up, whining noise is still there. I have had EVO 7 and 8 and Mazda 6 MPS but hav not heard similar sound. This is my first Subaru. Maybe it is normal, but just to make sure, I want second opinion (local Subaru dealer serviced car and they said everything is fine). Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Please let me know what kind of details are necessary.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I will wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It doesn´t matter what gear I use. Car is stock, no mods made.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the car is not moving, parking brake engaged and you rev up a bit, the noise is still there and increases as rpm increases.
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 10 months ago.

did you duplicate the noise for the dealer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did. At first they thought there is a problem with transmission but later mechanic "found" it was power steering. Well... Power steering stopped making sound, but that was not that awful sound compared to what made me ask here. Might it be faulty air pump or still might be a problem with turbo?

I would isolate the problem with a mechanics stethoscope.. We need to pin point the noise and that's the easiest way..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope-/221881281879?hash=item33a927ad57:g:kXgAAOSwuTxV8b~Q&item=221881281879&vxp=mtr

simple listen to each component until you isolate the noise..