Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Espinosa. issue regarding my 2008 subaru outback
, was

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** espinosa. issue regarding my 2008 subaru outback
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: was on the way to the airport yesterday when the engine light came on along with the cruise light flashing, etc. car seemed to run fine so continued my trip as i needed to get my wife to the airport, about an hour drive. by the time we arrived at the airport the car started losing power and wouldn't accelerate up an incline and a rattling noise started coming from the engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I would start by checking the engine oil level. Rattling may be a sign of the timing being off, possibly because of the variable intake timing control. This uses oil pressure to work properly, so low oil can cause this type of problem.

Without codes it's difficult to know for sure, but it sounds like this or the timing belt may be the issue here. Also, if you have the car home safely, I would suggest you do not drive it if the oil is full. If the timing belt is having an issue, this will damage the valves.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Do you need further assistance with this?