Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My 2005 Outback has had low end low power time, now all of a

Customer Question

my 2005 Outback has had low end low power for some time, now all of a sudden lower power across the board and some ticking in the engine
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on or flashing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was on and also the cruise light was flashing. Reset the cruise light per the manual by turning key back to acc then back to on . This removed the check engine light and returned cruise to normal
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

It sounds like you might have a misfire happening. This will sometimes sound like a tick or snapping sound under the hood when the coil or plug wire has spark arcing out of it. One method for testing this that works pretty well is to spray water on the ignition coil and spark plug wires with the engine running. If it begins to skip or you hear the snapping it's a good bet you will see the spark arcing that is causing the issue and be able to replace the failed part.

This is where I would start with this since the check engine light isn't on now.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Thought I would check and see if you needed any more assistance with this?