Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Given the head gasket problems of Subaru's past, is it wise

Customer Question

Given the head gasket problems of Subaru's past, is it wise to buy a new Outback with the 2.5L engine? I plan to keep it a long time, and drive it at least 200,000 miles. Can I bet on getting 200,000 or more without major engine problems, including head gaskets? Of course, I do all maintenance religiously.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

As the owner of a WRX, and early EA81 carby cars, I could say that you will not get 200000 miles out of a used Subaru engine.

Not many passenger car engine these days will do 200000 miles reliably.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the answer Gary. Very much appreciated. In my question I mentioned a new Outback with the 2.5L engine, not a used engine as you referenced in your answer. Does this change things in any way? I have owned Toyotas for a long time, and the 6-cyl engines don't have a problem going 200,000 miles without significant issues (my limited experience). I like what the Outback offers, so am just trying to get a reading on the longevity I can expect. I know there are no guarantees, of course. Thanks very much. Ken
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Ken,

A new 2.5 outback would be a lot better than previous models.

From what I have read to keep up with others technology, I would say Subaru is making their engines even better than previously.

They know of their headgasket design issues, and how many warranty claims were processed.

Your 2.5 being non-turbo, and servicing schedule adhered to, should be a reliable car.

Regards

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gary,Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. Happy New Year.Ken
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Ken,

You are welcome.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Regards

Gary