Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a p0011 code. I just bought the car and I am six

Customer Question

I have a p0011 code. I just bought the car and I am six hours away. The car seems to be running in limo mode. Is it safe to drive it for that amount of time?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Marshall,

While you have that code set, I would not run the engine until the timing belt is inspected, and the valve timing is verified.

If the timing belt has jumped teeth already, it will jump again and then bend valves.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. If it isn't the timing belt (which I was told had been replaced already) what else could it be?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Marshall,

The P0011 DTC is an intake camshaft correlation code, meaning the signal is there, but is a mismatch to the crankshaft position.

Unlikely to be anything else, except valve timing incorrect.

Please get the timing belt AND the valve timing checked.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've read a lot of people with the 2.5 turbo get this code in regard to the "banjo bolt" filters being clogged in the AVCS lines and therefore restricting oil flow. Any insight on these filters?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

If the cam phaser filters are blocked or starting to block, it can cause this code, but it then shows the engine has not had an oil change as often as recommended.

Many different cars have filter screens in the circuit to protect the phasers.

I would still have the belt/timing checked at the same time.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah I read that it could show the oil wasn't changed often enough and that sometimes an oil change will fix it. The oil in it is fresh and it is full so I'm not too sure. Thank you for your help, I will be towing it home tomorrow.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome Marshall.

A wise decision to not drive it.

Wishing you well for a speedy repair.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, all the best for a happy and healthy 2016.

Regards.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One more question.. If it was timing related and skipped a tooth, wouldn't that be noticeable? Wouldn't it run terribly? It ran fine besides being in limp mode.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

It does depend on where the skip occurs, sometimes just one cam can be retarded by one tooth, and the engine still runs fine, slightly down on low speed torque.

I've seen Subarus, and many other cars where one cam is out or all are out by one tooth, and even two teeth on one engine.

They still run ok, and some say "it only needs some spark plugs and a throttle body clean".

I'm glad you will not drive your car until you have it repaired.

Way cheaper than dropping a valve or two.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah I literally bought the car a few hours beforehand, no warranty. I don't want to have to spend more money than I have to on repairs. Luckily I have good friends who will help me tow it to a Subaru specialty shop back home. Thanks again.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome.

Gary