tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

How do I turn off the map light on my 2009 Subaru Forester

Customer Question

How do I turn off the map light on my 2009 Subaru Forester so that I can open the tailgate without running down the battery? The manual says that there may be a way for Subaru to do it. Thanks.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 11 months ago.

Hi,Does your map light have a switch with 3 positions,just wondering they change from model to model,also is it mounted on the roof or on the cargo panel,thanks

Expert:  tamaz replied 11 months ago.

I just looked at owners manual your vehicle should have a 3 position cargo lamp switch,if it is placed in the middle the lamps will be off.Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My 2009 Forester doesn't have a switch on the maplight. I tried turning off the cargo light and the back seat light, but that didn't work. I have also tried cutting the dimmer switch all the way off, and that didn't work either. On page 6-3 of the manual it says that the operational / non-operational status of the maplight can be changed by a Subaru dealer, but the one I spoke to had no clue as to what to do. Other than pulling the lamps or fuse, is there anything I can do? If other models have a maplight with a switch, could I replace the one I have with one of those, and if so, which model year would work on mine? I don't know if mine is Limited or Premium, but it has puddle lights, fog lights and leather seats. Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My VIN number is *****
Expert:  tamaz replied 11 months ago.

Hi, ok thanks for the info,the setting can be changed by the dealer ,the integrated unit that controls the operation can be changed,in my dealership this would probably cost a 1/2 hour labor $55 ,you can remove the bulb easily by removing the cover,or replace the lamp with one that has a switch but I'm unsure of the cost,thanks