Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My name is ***** *****. My daughters 2009 subaru legacy

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****. My daughters 2009 subaru legacy check engine light is on with her cruise flashing and traction control off. what do you think is wrong. hanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry . thats all she told me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Is the car running normally even though all the lights are on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

first, let me just say that the cruise control is disabled on purpose by the computer when the check engine light comes on. This is a safety built into the system by subaru and is normal.

As for why the check engine light is on. There are over 500 different reasons for the light to come on. Trying to determine which one is the reason without the code that caused it is difficult and nearly impossible. If the fuel cap is loose, the light will come on. When the car is running normally, then it is usually an emissions type of problem. The car is completely safe to drive even with the light on. She won't be able to use the cruise of course, but otherwise the car can be safely driven until the codes are checked and the issue repaired.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Did you need further assistance with this?